Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Easy Healthy Home-made Applesauce

What a fun process looking for a big kid job has turned out to be. After finishing grad school and temp-ing at home, I have finally decided to move to the big city (New York). As my mother and father did not think my idea about moving to the south of France, growing my own produce, and teaching people to cook was a very good idea, I am faced with pursuing a career that will most likely start with me in a cubicle.

I am staying at my friend Caroline's apt. on the upper West-side until I can find a sublet for a little bit. She is a member of a co-op that delivers organic fruits and veg to her apartment every week. This week she has apples... and lots of them. I am going to use them up before they go bad and make her some applesauce to bring to work. As the poorest house guest EVER I have to do something nice. Make some applesauce for your lunch in your cubicle, freeze it and save it for later, use it to top your ice cream, or add a little to your brownie mix to make them extra moist (best secret of all time). Make it.. embrace it.. love it...
HOME-MADE APPLESAUCE

Ingredients:
  • 5 large apples (I used Jonagold), peeled, cored and cut into chunks
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • HEAVY sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp honey
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a pot.
  • Boil over high heat (15-20 min).. until it is mashable
  • Mash to preferred consistency.. go chunky. it's the best.

1 comment: