Thursday, July 15, 2010

Quick Dinner #1: Grilled Steak with Avocado and Black Bean/Corn Salad


My friend from college, Chels, requested recipes for quick dinners so i am going to do a series of them.. this is the first. If you notice there are no carbs in this dish. Reason= I was exercising at the gym the other day (a rarity indeed) and a personal trainer approached me. Oh God. She proceeded to tell me what a lovely figure I had "except for the middle section". The truth was spoken.. and I was not pleased. She suggested that I not eat "white carbs" and I suggested she remove herself from my presence. Despite my annoyance, I am going to try it.. so here is a delicious meal that is quick, easy, and perfect for summer.

P.S.- I love corn... just in case you wanted to know.

STEAK with AVOCADO & BLACK BEAN/CORN SALSA
serves 2

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 LARGE bone in-rib-eye steak
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • olive oil
  • 1 large avocado
  • a splash of lemon
  • sour cream
for the salsa:
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 large tomato, deseeded and chopped
  • 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
  • 1 cup corn, you can cook it on the cob or use canned.
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 large glug extra virgin olive oil
  • a sprinkle of chili powder (to taste.. i like mine spicy)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Marinade steak in garlic, olive oil, and pepper... do at least 4 hours in advance
  • If you are going to grill the steak, get the bbq going to med-high heat!!!! (if you don't have time you can always cook it stove-top)
  • Make the salad.. combine oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin in a mixing bowl. Whisk
  • Add beans, corn, tomato, and pepper, You're done!
  • prepare the avocado by removing stone, and cut into thin slices.
  • Sprinkle with lemon juice (to keep the color) and add some s &p... put aside.
  • Throw the steak on the grill.. let it go until it is done to your taste. medium should be about 20 min.. it will register at 120 F/49 C on a meat thermometer.
  • Let meat rest for 5 min after off grill.. slice.
  • Serve with avocado and salad.. and a dollop of sour cream.
  • GET YOUR EAT ON.

1 comment:

  1. I just did a salsa similar to this one! I love throwing it on just about any grilled meat. I'm going to try this one this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete