Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quick Tip: Cake Decorating!!


Kristen was one of our first blog followers so, other than giving her our undying love and appreciation, I decided it would be nice for me to make her b-day cake. When I asked her what kind of cake was her fav, I was expecting something along the lines of a hazelnut, chocolate, raspberry torte. Instead, she wanted a simple yellow cake with choco frosting. This classic is so yummy but I panicked as I looked for a yellow cake recipe. I have never known anyone to make one without a ready-made mix (gasp). I e-mailed my friend Lauren, who went to school for baking, and she sent me a delish recipe which i tweaked to create my masterpiece. So ditch the box and get with it.

When you are at the grocery store, buy some amazing sprinkles so you can decorate! After you have iced the cake stick in the fridge. Draw out a design/letter/symbol and cut it out. i did a K for Kristen (duh). When the icing is hard, stick your cut out on the cake. It should hold in the icing but not be a goopy mess... it kinda sits on top. Take your sprinkles and sprinkle A LOT over/around the symbol.. lift up and your design with be left (look below)! Perfection.

Here is the recipe!!

http://www.joyofbaking.com/YellowButterCake.html



No comments:

Post a Comment