Saturday, March 5, 2011

Now a Singaporean!



I have arrived in Singapore in one piece with one piece of luggage. As there are no clothes on this island that will fit me (think Shrek trying on baby clothes), I will spend my time embracing my size and eating my way through the zillions of Chinese, Malay, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, and Western options until I am large enough to float home. Let the games begin!

Goal: Explore every tasty treat this island has to offer and learn the basics of Asian cooking! I am no expert!
Target Consumption: I will attempt to try something I have never had at least once a day... ok.. once every other day. I attempted frog congee (Chinese frog porridge)... didn't get too far I'm afraid before my love for Kermit intervened. Shame. I shall; however, forge on...


The first night we got here our hosts took us out to enjoy the traditional dish of Singapore, Chili Crab. These crabs are HUGE; they make our Chesapeake variety look like midgets. This spicy stew is absolutely divine and is to be enjoyed with steamed rolls (which you use to soak up the sauce). I am attempting to make this dish myself this weekend and from a traditional Malaysian web-site. Looks easy, will report back!

SINGAPORE CHILI CRAB!

Ingredients
  • 1 Dungeness Crab (about 2 lb size) OR 3 little crabs of any variety
  • 1 sprig of cilantro for garnish.
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp tamarind juice (try Asian markets)
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 Tbsp peanut oil
  • 1/4 cup of water.
for the spice paste:
  • 8 dried red chilies (soaked in hot water and deseeded)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger
  • Tamarind juice.. until the thickness is acheived.
DIRECTIONS:
  • Clean the crab and chop it into pieces. Save the green and juicy stuff inside the shell and set aside.
  • Pound the spice paste with a mortar and pestle or grind them using a food processor.
  • Heat up your wok and add cooking oil.
  • Stir fry the spice paste until fragant and spicy.
  • Add the crab and 1/4 cup of water and do a quick stir. Cover the wok with its cover for 3 minutes.
  • Add the green and juicy stuff from the shell and stir well.
  • Add in sugar, tamarind juice, a little salt to taste and continue stirring for about 2 minutes or until all crab pieces turned red.
Serve with Chinese Steamed Rolls. They are a pain to make so you can buy them in Asian markets.. if not, just serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment