Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nothing Better than Shrimp and Grits..

Grits always seem to be controversial. Some people love them, some hate them, and a lot of people outside the South don't even know what they are. Luckily for me, I was able to get my daily grits quota filled at my University of Georgia sorority house every morning at breakfast (thank you Ms. Carol!). I still love them and often thought if I was on the British show "Come Dine with Me" I would cook them for my undoubtably sketchy guests. I wonder how that would go? If you are a member of the group that hasn't tried grits, it is time. Give them a chance.. please?

SHRIMP AND GRITS - serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cup stone-ground grits (you can use instant grits.. just reduce water to 3 cups)
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • a pinch of garlic powder
  • 1 lb (455g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 5 slices bacon (streaky for the Brits)
  • the juice of half a lemon
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • a dash of cayenne pepper for heat (optional)
  • two drops liquid smoke (optional- sadly I have never seen this in England)

DIRECTIONS:

for grits:
  • Bring water to the boil with the butter
  • Add grits slowly.. whisk
  • Cook until thickened (for stone-ground it may take 20 min., instant takes about 5)
  • remove from heat and add cheese, a pinch of garlic powder, and salt & pepper
for shrimp:
  • Fry bacon in a skillet.. when done, remove bacon from pan and leave the fat in the pan.
  • add shrimp to the skillet..
  • when the shrimp is starting to turn pink add: lemon juice, garlic, cayenne pepper (optional), liquid smoke (optional), and salt & pepper.
  • serve over grits.. garnish with cooked bacon bits and parsley.

A word about grits for the Brits: Grits are delicious and I have been trying to promote them at British dinner tables for a while now. I am 99% sure you can get them at Selfridges or Partridges; but, if not, you can order them offline for a special occasion. If this all seems like a massive hassle and you are not up for the search, you could have the shrimp with creamy polenta. It is not exactly the same but has a similar texture. Just cook polenta as directed and add butter and cheese when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment