Monday, November 15, 2010

Lobster Bisque


Lobster is like caviar.. super expensive and SOO delicious. Not everyone (ahem.. me and everyone I know) can afford to buy and eat lovely juicy fat lobsters very often. Until I can find a man that can provide me with such treats or find a proper job, I will have to work with what I can afford. If you do happen to come across a little lobster there is a way to make it go a lot further and taste just as refined. Bisque it. My friend Jessie made a delicious batch on Monday and I HAD to post it...

Jessie's Lobster Bisque
serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 lb (230g) lobster meat, cut into small chunks
  • 4 Tbsp minced shallots
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp Tabasco
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 6 Tbsp dry sherry
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 tsp lobster base (can buy from gourmet grocery stores/online)
  • 4 ounces tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups heavy whipped cream
  • 4 Tbsp butter, unsalted
  • salt, if needed
DIRECTIONS
  • Heat a little oil and sweat shallots, onions, and garlic for a couple minutes.
  • Deglaze with the white wine
  • Add the worchestershire sauce , tabasco, thyme and saute for another minute.
  • Deglaze with sherry
  • Add paprika, hot water, and lobster base and combine well.
  • Stir in tomato paste and add bay leaves
  • Simmer on low for 10 min
  • Whisk in heavy cream and butter
  • Bring to a boil
  • Add chunks of lobster and simmer until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment